Mutton Scrutiny is an especial delight for my dear fellow colleagues. I know checking and scrutinising exam copies is more than boring, sometimes depressing, too. I tried to churn fun out of this mechanical obligation for my friends. This recipe will engross you so much in cooking that you won’t find time to feel depressed or bore. So, let’s start our game to feel rejuvenated.
Mutton – 1.5 Kg.
Curd – 200 gm (strained in a strainer)
Onion – 5 big pieces.
Garlic – 12 cloves.
Ginger – 2.5 ” cut into small pieces.
Tomato -3 pieces (300 gms cut into small pieces).
Dry Red Chilly Whole – 2 pieces.
Turmeric powder – 4 teaspoon full.
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp.
Kashmiri Lal Mirchi powder – 3 tbsp.
Garam Masala- 1tsp.
Salt, Sugar and Mustard Oil as required.
- Prepare Garlic Ginger Paste.
- Cut 2 big onions finely, then fry in oil. Take out the onions when these are brown, don’t over fry or crispy. Make a paste of these fried onions.
- Make a paste of 1 big onion and one tomato.
Wash the mutton pieces and put them in a strainer to get it dry. Marinate it with hung curd, 2 onion finely cut and 1 tsp salt. If you have still many copies to scrutiny and you are in a hurry, marinate it for 30 mins. Otherwise, 1 hour marination is perfect for better taste.
How to cook
- Heat oil in a Kadai. Put the g-g paste and sauté on low flame till the oil separates.
- Now add the onion-tomato paste and sauté till the masala paste is well fried.
- Then put the marinated mutton along with all masala in the Kadai, add turmeric, salt, sugar (2 tsp), red chilli powder, Kashmiri Mirch powder and mix well with a cooking spud.
- Sauté for 15 minutes in medium flame till all the masala are mixed well and oil separates.
- Add Garam Masala and mix well.
- Now put the whole mix in a pressure cooker, add warm water 2 cups.
- Then add the fried onion paste and mix within cooker with a spud.
- One whistle in full flame, then the second whistle in the lowest flame.
Mutton Scrutiny tastes best with white rice, you can try it with chapatti, too.
Note: Remember this recipe is a balance of hot, sour and salted taste, so before closing the lid you may taste it and can add mirch powder or salt whatever is required. This is called real scrutiny.
If you like potato, you can easily add it. Take small potatoes whole and boil them. Then de-skin. Heat oil in a frying pan, add 2 tb sp sugar, let it melt. Fry the potatoes in this caramelised sugar. Sprinkle a pinch of turmeric and salt while frying, it will give the potatoes a rich look.
So, happy cooking and healthy eating.