An evening with heavy downpour outside has something common with a chilly winter evening. Both of them create an urge for ghost stories accompanied with Muri ( puffed rice) and Telebhaja (deep fried chop). My 9 years old son feels so adventurous on such evenings that he willfully switches off the lights of the room and prefers to have his evening snacks by the candle light. On such an evening my father threw a challenge to me, ” Can you make something lip-smacking out of the tasteless Soyabean?” I have tried Soya Chop from our local Snacks Corner. But this time I thought of preparing it at home in my own style. So, here is my own recipe for the Soya Chop.
Soya Chunks (medium) — 200 gm.
Potato (boiled) — 2 whole.
Onion- Garlic- Ginger Paste — 5 tbsp.
Tomato — 2 Whole
Green Chilly — 3, chopped.
Cumin powder — 2 tsp
Corriender powder — 1 tsp
Garam Masala — 1 tsp
Turmeric powder– 1/2 tb sp ( optional)
Black Salt – 1 tsp
Salt — add to taste
Sugar — 1.5 tsp.
Gram flour – 5 tb sp
Rice Powder– 1tb sp
How to cook
1. Soak the Soya Chunks in drinking water for 30 mins.Then cut the swelled soya chunks into small pieces.
2. Smash the boiled potatoes.
3. Mix the soya pieces and smashed potato very well. Add black salt, then add the normal salt as much necessary.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Add the finely chopped tomato and saute it till the tomatoes become soft and mix well with the oil.
5. Now add the Onion, garlic and ginger paste along with chilly pieces. Mix all these ingredients with a spatula well. Add turmeric and all other ingredients to it. Saute the masala till the oil begins to get separated from the mixture.
6. Then put the potato-soya mix with it in the pan.Mix them well in a low flame for 10 mins. Your stuffing for the chop is ready now.
7. Now prepare a batter mixing gram flour, salt and a tb sp powdered rice. water should be mixed slowly in such a way that it should make a thick batter.
8. Make small balls with the paste, dip into the batter so that each ball is coated well. Go for deep fry.
9. Serve with green chutney.